Central Gauteng Lions (CGL) President and Chairperson of the Board, Mr. Jack Madiseng, was elected as a Non-Independent Director to serve on the Cricket South Africa (CSA) Board following CSA’s Members Council Special AGM over the past weekend in CapeTown.
Mr. Madiseng has been President and Chairperson of the Board of the Central Gauteng Lions (former Gauteng Cricket Board) since he was elected into that position in 2016. Before that, he was one of the representatives from the Black African constituency serving on the Board.
In cricket, Mr. Jack Madiseng also holds leadership positions as the Chairperson of the Gauteng Cricket Council – a body that speaks as one voice on cricket matters relating to the Gauteng Province. He is also the Board Chairperson of the bizhub Highveld Lions franchise and sits on the CSA Members Council.
As a recipient of a cricket bursary through his high school and tertiary education, Madiseng played in age group provincial representative teams throughout his schooling. Alexandra Township reaped the rewards from his coaching as a student and later the Alexandra Cricket Club (ACC) benefited from his leadership as player and Chairperson.
In his capacity as Chairperson, Mr. Madiseng was instrumental in assertively driving the transformation of the Board of CGL including the increase in gender equality and presence at Board and Sub-Committee level. CGL and the Lions’ latest turnaround strategy since the start of the 2018/19 season, has already started bearing fruits.
CGL and the Lions have claimed victory in the following recent tournaments:
- In September 2018, Central Gauteng Lions won the Africa T20 Cup for the first time since the competition commenced.
- The Inaugural Mzansi Super League (MSL) T20 with the Jozi Stars being crowned champions in December 2018
- Set the record by becoming the first province to successfully defend the Coca-Cola Khaya Majola U/19 Week competition in December 2018
- The bizhub Highveld Lions being the champions of the recently concluded 4-Day Domestic Series competition that finished last week.
- The Strikers, the CGL Semi-Professional squad, are currently comfortably lying in the 1st position on the CSA Provincial 3-Day competition log.
“I am equally excited and nervous about this new responsibility bestowed upon me and I’m looking forward to contributing towards the success of Cricket SA,” said Madiseng.